Thursday, January 15, 2009

Christmas Day Brunch: Smoked Salmon Tartine with Blender Hollandaise Sauce

Christmas morning was lovely. Ella is nearly 3 and was, for the first time, very excited about opening presents. It was so much fun watching her excitement. It reminded me of how I used to feel about Christmas, and I am happy that Christmas is enjoyable for me once again. This was also the first year in about 7 or 8 years that Louis and I put up a Christmas tree. I thought it would be fun for Ella and I to decorate sugar cookies to hang on the tree.

And well, it was fun and became Ella's own personal buffet. I guess that's one way not to have to put the decorations away when the tree comes down.

The morning was a flurry of opening presents and then of course playing with them. Before I knew it, I was becoming quite hungry. Louis took charge of putting a little brunch together, with a little suggestion from me. We had some smoked salmon in the fridge that was begging to be bathed in a silky, creamy, tangy sauce known as hollandaise. Louis grilled some Acme bread, sauteed some leeks, pounded some fresh herbs into a salsa verde, and whirled some egg yolks, lemon juice and butter into a beautiful hollandaise. Then he layered it all onto these lovely tartines.
Blender Hollandaise Sauce
(adapted from The Joy of Cooking)

3 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
a dash or 2 of Tabasco sauce
1/2 cup very warm to hot clarified butter (Louis didn't even bother to clarify the butter)
Salt to taste

Place the egg yolks, lemon juice and Tabasco in a blender and process on high speed for 1 minute. With the machine running, add the butter in a slow, steady stream. By the time all the butter is poured in, about 1 minute, the sauce should be thickened. If not, process on high speed for about 20 seconds more. Taste and adjust the seasonings.

makes about 1 cup.

2 comments:

  1. I will be trying this "Blender Hollandaise Sauce" Sunday morning. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Mike! Let me know how it went and what you put it on:)

    ReplyDelete